Saturday 27 October 2012

CRAC kers at Abingdon pt 2

Right,here goes with part 2

 5 miles in saw us running through a lovely town with a gorgeous Church. The spire was huge from our viewpoint and just took my breath away. The Marshall saw our reaction and said "its beautiful isn't it" Past the church and along the river which again was just a "WOW moment. Sadly those lovely views didn't last long and as we headed towards 6 miles we hit normal roads with lots of houses which looked dreary in comparison.

Now the thing about a 2 lap course is that you are teased by the mile markers.Seeing the 6 mile mark with the 15 just behind was just too much. The Marshall saw our faces and quickly stepped in front so that we couldn't see it. It was just one more indication of just how far we still had to go.

By Eck and I were still happily chatting but I was feeling a tad weary. The doubts were there again and By Eck was starting to move ahead. I think at this point there were still 2 runners behind us but they were catching up.

I think it was about 6.5 miles when we saw a lady who had been well in front suddenly  stop. She was really ill and nearly caught By Ecks shoes as she ran past. The Marshall went over to help as she had crashed. I just remember thinking "I am not at that stage yet,I need to keep going"

We saw a couple of runners in the distance that were holding something which turned out to be a Dog toy,you know the ones you hold and the dog grabs the other and and pulls like mad. It turns out the the guy is Blind but yep,he is running a Marathon and has been doing tonnes of them. I ask how many more he is doing and he shouts "I still have 6 to go" Wow oh Wow, I have one piddly Marathon in a year and I cant even seem to managed  that.

By Eck by now was gaining speed but I just couldn't seem to catch her up so I just kept plodding at a pace I was comfy with. I was still struggling with my head. It kept saying that "you cant do this,you are going to fail" I was getting quite emotional now and thinking too much about how far I had to go. I was trying to use a Tip from a forum thread that said "think of how far you have come in a %. This really worked up to a point and I was desperate to get back to this train of thought.

7 miles in and we the Sponge station. The sight of people wrist deep in freezing water filled sponges remind me of a "Soak the Teacher" at a School Fayre. I joke to the marshall "are we the moving targets" which makes her smile. Thankfully no sponges were thrown and the water is welcome as I am starting to get warm. I have to say at this point that the Marshall's were just amazing.

8-9 miles and I have had it. My head is still screaming at me to stop "you will never make it You are not worthy" Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I could slap myself sometimes for being such a wuss when it comes to endurance. Van man from earlier has now got out of his van and is asking if I am okay. He is so lovely and I have forgotten his earlier pushes to run faster (turns out its very hard to keep a van moving at 3 miles an hour) I actually tell him I may have to stop in a bit. I think part of it is because I read something about Marathons that said "if you are struggling at 16 then that's normal,if you are struggling at 10 then you can forget it" I wonder what struggling from 6 miles meant, probably "stay on the Settee and eat cake cos you never guna make it.

I don't know how but I plod on. I keep thinking of the team and wondering how they are doing. I know that they have dragged themselves from injury and sick beds to come and help me raise money. I cant let them down and be the only one who took the easy option.

10 miles in and the 2 people who were behind now pass me. The guy offers me a Chuddy Gum in the shape of a golf ball. I politely refuse as they make me Gag but its little thing like that which make me want to carry on.

11 miles now and the Marshall offers us Beer,(winking smiley) but am gutted when he say he is just kidding and its only a water station. I reckon they should give you a bit of something Alcoholic if you are crazy enough to run a Marathon.

12-13 miles in and I am last. The super fast runners are now passing us which can be quite daunting when you are as slow as me but this time it was to be something wonderful. Hitting a lovely wooded area I moved to the side as by now the fast ones were coming thick and fast. I have lost count of how many said "Well done" to me and "you are doing well,keep going"

I wonder if it was the pic of my Son on my back which made them chivvy me along in this way but whatever it was it had me with such a lump. The guy who patted me on the back  had me in bits with just 3 words "You're a Credit" and yep the tears were right there stinging my eyes.

My head by now was all over the place

How can I be a credit when I have been wanting to give up since 7 miles. How can I be a Credit if I am the only one who catches the Loser Bus. I carry on with the Marshall behind me offering encouraging words and just when I feel I need that last little push to go on, I see who was to become my Savior,  Our By Eck.

Part 3 in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment