Friday 26 October 2012

Going CRACkers at Abingdon.Pt 1

Well last week saw me attempting my first ever Marathon with the CRAC team. Before I go on I need to tell you a little about this amazing group of online running buddies who have got me through some very tough times in the last couple of years.

I had been chatting to this  fab group of people online and they all knew about Cameron and my fundraising and a few had said they would like to do a race and get some money for the cause. We had all come together because of a love of Running and Cake and so Cake Runners AC was born. The original team was D.J, who also gives us fab advice and a Tune of the day,the ever Glam Loula who just looks amazing even after 50 mile races, Superfit Tom, lovely generous and kind Chilli, Beermatt and his now famous running flip flops, the lovely and very kind Franny and last but not least our By Eck who has such determination its unreal oh and of course Me.

Sadly D.J had to drop out and was gutted but Rocker who hates road running offered to take his place. D.J gave his place for free but asked for the fee to be donated which was just so lovely of him. Sadly then our Lovely Franny got badly injured and also had to give it a miss. We were all gutted as we knew how much she wanted to take part but her health was far more important. Poor Tom had to miss too as he was unwell so that left 6.

So the night before the race me and Hubby travelled to a little hotel called the Oxfordshire inn to stay over. Mum had the kids as they refused to come and wait around forever for me to finish. It was a lovely place but I couldn't sleep as I was just too nervous. We woke early to travel to where the race was about to start and headed to the local Macdonalds for breccy.It was such a dark cold and foggy morning and I was starting to wonder if this was such a good idea. My head was all over the place and the doubt had set in.

I got my Bottle belt ready and my Number and we headed off on the 10 min walk to where the start lines was at Tilsley park athletics track. I knew what my fellow runners looked like from pics but was worried I would miss them in the crowd of people. I soon got a txt that Loula Chilli and Rocker were making their way into the park with their Hubby's and Children and then there was By Eck running towards me. It was hugs all round as I was just so pleased to meet them at last. I am not sure they will ever know how much this all meant to me.

Now I had got some shirts printed with forum names which should have been simple. I got everyone to send me shirts that they felt comfy running in. I only had to do 5 of them but I still managed to mix 2 of them up so By Eck had to be Chilli for the day and visa versa. Rocker is the one with his club shirt and Loula is the one with the 6 pack.

Anyway lots of hugs and piccies and we were ushered off to the start line (Loula's Hubby was getting messages from our forum support crew who were all willing us on). I must admit I was really scared by this point. I had never done a Marathon and as I had only got to 18.5 miles in training,I just couldn't see where those extra miles were going to come from. Heading to the line and I see the Legendary Mick n Phil. I have been wanting to meet these guys for ages. Mick has a love of Running but his wife was struggling to look after their severely disabled son while he pounded the streets. Micks solution was to take Phil with him and push his wheelchair. Phil loves being out with his Dad and now have done so many runs that they spend their time encouraging others. I am in awe of the strength and sheer devotion. I even got to shake their hands which was just an Honour.

By Eck and I have decided that we are going to run together and Matt and Chilli seem to be pairing off too with Loula and Rocker out at the front then all too soon BANG and its time to go.

I have an idea of doing 11 min mile pace. I am too scared to push faster as I still have very bad memories of my first HM where I was so bad I was waiting for the Ambulance to come and pick me up. I made it to the end  but it has scarred me for life.

Rocker and Loula have gone off all speedy and Chilli and Matt are just in front as we make our way out of the park and up the main road. Part of the race has roads closed off which is great but the Sweep vehicle is right behind us and revving his engines trying to speed us up.

We are now doing 10.5 min miles and I am starting to get worried. there is no way I can keep this up and I just wish he would bog off. Past the poor Turkeys all waiting for Christmas(mmmmm I love roast Turkey) and off the road and onto a lovely country lane. We are soon coming up to 3 miles and the Van has gone. I cant help thinking that we still have 23 miles to go and my head tells me that I will never make it. Luckily By Eck is fab company and the next few miles fly by.

Abo part 2 tomorrow.........



No comments:

Post a Comment