Tuesday 30 October 2012

The grand finale. Abingdon 2012

Well,this has been a long one. Here is the final part of my biggest challenge to date.

So Marcin has decided to tootle off ahead. He is still smiling as  By Eck has revealed  where she puts her Shot Blocks when she runs.
We are now last but we don't care. To see By Eck jumping to her feet and point blank refusing to get in the van just makes me realise the strength of the Human Spirit and shows how sheer guts and determination can get you through anything. This has now become more about friendships than good finish times.

Bike Girl has become By Ecks Angel in disguise. She is amazing and is chatting about her life,which I must admit seems a very tough one. She leaves after a little while but By Eck doesn't want her to go. I dont think Bike Girl realises the impact she has had on my friend.

We are walking at quite a pace now but as most of the spectators have gone it feels like we are just out for a Sunday bimble around the streets. Its freezing cold and makes me realise how hard we were working when we were running. Mr Van man is still around and his friend (who we now know as Andy) has decided he will walk the last few miles with us. Course support should have stopped by now but I am warmed by the fact that so many have stayed to wave us through. I made sure I thanked them all in the earlier miles and now find myself apologising for taking so long. Standing in the freezing colds for over 5 hours so that people like me can race is no mean feat and these guys have just been the best ever.

Coming back through the town and By Eck is chatting happily to Andy. I am quite happy to walk ahead slightly as for once I don't have the ability to join in the conversation. I must admit though that my hips are killing me and I have to keep hunching over as if I am going to be ill. Im sure this concerns a few but its the only way I can ease the pain. Andy sees the van parked up and decides that we should look like a pair of oven ready Turkeys,yep the space blankets have come out. I struggle to get mine out of the packet,gosh those things are so noisy. Finally I am all cosy but am rustling like mad. Poor Andy is struggling to hear now with us two making such a racket. I am so thankful though as now its nice and warm. We plod on past the 24 mile marker and yet again the Marshall's are still there waiting. Okay some have gone but who could blame them. I find myself saying sorry more times than I have ever said in my life,yet people are still smiling at us an encouraging us to keep going. I suddenly realise that we ARE really guna do this and the familiar lump rises again in my throat.

Coming back up to Tilsley park now and desperate to see that track and the end. We are taken on a very windy path which seems to be never ending. Van man has now joined us with his Walkey Talkey and I feel like a celeb being snuck into an exclusive club. This feeling is immense and even though they are taking all the ropes in, I am starting to feel EPIC. This is slightly spoilt by the massive muddy puddle. I am gutted as I don't want to get my new shoosies filthy but suddenly  I don't care cos I can see my Hubby smiling at me an willing me on those last few steps. Loula's Hubby is there too and we break into a run with both of them running with us. this is just amazing and something I will never forget.

Just as we are about to hit the track a guy tells us we have to take our space blankets off for the pics,awwwww boo, I reckon that would have made a fab piccie with those billowing behind us. I throw my bottle belt and Mr Loula and we start to pick up speed. The last 300m is unreal. We break into a fast paced run which is unbelievable after going nearly 26 miles. By Eck's Daughter has now joined us for the last 100m and the emotion is coming out. the CRAC supporters are shouting and cheering, By Eck is now back in support mode and tells me to keep running and WOW OMgosh we just ran a Marathon.
The feeling is unreal and I cant stop smiling. Hubby is there with a massive hug and By Eck falls into her Hubbys arms,its all to much and the tears flow.

Our team mates are already waiting after having done amazing times. All are well under the 5 hour mark. We are just so pleased that we all made it and after lots and lots of Hugs and more piccies,we head off to the clubhouse for ................you guessed it............ CAKE.

We kind of took over the foyer of the club. Chilli and her Hubby and fours Girls, Loula her Hubby and Daughter, Matt and his lovely Wife with their little one, Our Rocker and By Eck her Hubby and their two kids,oh and my lovely Hubby all chatting and eating cake with our medals glinting away. The cakes are all on the tables and people are asking what we are doing and what did we run for. This is brilliant as we have been noticed.



More piccies and a very special gift from Franny who sadly couldn't make it. She had got us some very special medals with our Forum names on. It was so lovely with all the kids happy and so well behaved but then the lights went off and we realised it was time to vacate and go home.

We all waked back to our cars weary but feeling amazing. We had all just done something unreal helped by our loved ones and best of all we now had a Bond that no one could break.

My fabby cake my Daughter made when I got home.

 
 


We are the CRAC team and there is no stopping us.

Well thats it. My second official race of my "40 before 40" and the best yet. I'm not sure anything will top this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment